Friends of REACH Volunteers
Friends of REACH is the volunteer arm of our organization, including everyone who helps out at our shelter, office, and store. From those who volunteer weekly to those who step in when we’re most in need, the Friends are a vital part of accomplishing our mission at REACH. There are many opportunities to help support our programs and services, both on a regular schedule or for a one-time task.
Ways to Volunteer:
- Helpline: Supporting REACH clients through our 24-hour Crisis Helpline. This is a fantastic position for volunteers who wish to offer direct aid to survivors. Helpline volunteers are always backed up by a REACH staff member, and we offer training sessions throughout the year to equip you for this role.
- Shelter and Client Services: Working with our shelter program. This can involve helping to launch new programs or services, providing updates or repairs to the facility itself, or by leading client workshops. This is a great opportunity for volunteers with special skills or interests. For example:
- Handy with tools? Grab your toolkit and help us keep the shelter a clean, welcoming space for individuals and families in need.
- Love to sew? Join our clients for a fun and therapeutic crafting session, or donate your masterpieces to the shelter. Quilts and blankets are always appreciated!
- Financial whiz? Help our clients set up a budget, and explain a few of those intimidating financial principles. Some of our clients have never been in control of their own finances, so this is a wonderful opportunity to share some skills for their new, violence-free lives.
- Good with children? Donate a few hours to childcare so our adult clients can attend support groups.
- Fantastic cook or knowledgeable foodie? Lead a cooking class, or teach our clients about good nutrition on a budget!
- Computer guru? Introduce our clients to some basic computer skills.
- Eye for business? Help our clients update their resumes. Many of our shelter residents are also job-seekers, so this is a wonderful way to help them move forward!
- Some other secret superpower? Have a skill, and an idea to use it? We’d love to hear from you! There are plenty of ways to help out, including ways we haven’t even thought of yet.
- Within Reach Resale Shop: Volunteering at our resale and home store, which helps fund our victim assistance and prevention programs. The store is mostly staffed by our generous volunteers, who are vital in keeping the store up and running. The hours are flexible, training is provided, and it’s a fun environment. If you can’t commit to a regular schedule, that’s okay! Put your name down for our fill-in list, and we’ll just give you a call when we’re shorthanded.
- Special Events: REACH hosts several major community events and fundraisers throughout the year, and you can get involved! Chip in to help with planning, logistics, entertainment, decorating, catering, etc. This is a fun opportunity to be a bridge between REACH and the community, and to party a little along the way.
- Immediate need volunteers: For those who have flexible schedules but don’t want to commit to a regular volunteer schedule, we occasional have urgent volunteer needs that you could help us fulfill. These might be assisting with transportation, supervising client children, cleaning shelter rooms for incoming clients, picking up donated supplies, assisting with a project in the REACH office, etc. If this is something you can manage, we would be grateful to have you.
- Have something else in mind? Get in touch! Friends of REACH would love to help you find your own path as a volunteer.
Want to know more? For more information on joining Friends of REACH, please call the office at (828) 456-7898.
Ready to help? Download and complete our Volunteer Application Form and sign the attached policies.
Completed forms can be returned via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or via post to PO Box 206, Waynesville, NC 28786. They can also be turned in at our store, Within Reach Resale Shop, at 456 Hazelwood Avenue, Waynesville.
REACH of Haywood County, Inc. serves survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault through advocacy, community outreach, and prevention education to empower individuals to live a self-sufficient life free of violence.